Grilled California Avocado Chicken is tender chicken marinated in an amazing Honey Garlic Balsamic Sauce and grilled to perfection. Topped with a thick slice of mozzarella cheese and avocados, tomatoes, and basil, this chicken is AMAZING!
The chicken and avocado combo is one of my favorites! If you love California chicken and don’t have a grill, try this delicious California Avocado Skillet Chicken, Avocado Cream Chicken Enchiladas, or Avocado Chicken Salad.
Grilled chicken with California avocado
I couldn’t wait to share this Grilled California Avocado Chicken with you! Count all the heart-eye emojis for the avocado, tomato, and basil combo! My mouth was watering making this kind of avocado salad to top off the chicken. Provides a fresh, delicious element on top of moist, flavorful chicken. It also makes for a vibrant, colorful, and delicious presentation. How pretty! Despite looking too good to eat, my family quickly gobbled up this Grilled California Avocado Chicken!
Usually when something looks and tastes this good, I know I will have to put in a lot of ingredients and a lot of time to prepare it. However, this avocado chicken comes together so quickly and easily that I was surprised! I tell you, this was one of the best things I have ever put on the grill. I can’t wait to do it again. The flavors blended so well and I know this will become a family favorite in your house too!
Avocado Chicken Ingredients
First, this chicken is marinated in a honey garlic balsamic sauce. It marinates to perfection and honestly roasts tender and juicy! The taste is absolutely unreal in this chicken.
- Balsamic vinegar: This is the acidic ingredient in the marinade that will act as a tenderizer.
- Honey: Part of the marinade that adds flavor and keeps the chicken super juicy.
- GRAMarlic: Clove, minced
- ORliving oil: The oil from the marinade will soak into the meat and bring the other flavors of the marinade with it.
- Italian seasoning: The perfect combination of flavors for most things, but especially this Avocado Chicken!
- Salt and pepper: Try.
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless breasts will broil better.
- SUBWAYozzarella: I love how the fresh sliced mozzarella pairs with the tomato and basil, but any good melted cheese will work to smother the chicken.
- TOvocados: Diced to bite-size perfection.
- Rome Tomatoes: Any tomato will work, just be sure to cut into small pieces.
- Basil: Fresh chopped basil is perfect for this chicken.
- Optional: Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
How to Grill California Chicken
And just when you think it can’t get any better, top it with a thick slice of mozzarella cheese when it comes off the grill. It gets so honeyed and sticky. Then ONLY when you think it can’t get better with the gooey cheese on top comes avocado, tomato, and basil. Amazing!
- Marinate chicken: In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts and cover. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Mix the avocado topping: Meanwhile, in a small bowl add the avocado, tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Grill: Heat the grill over medium high heat. Grill the chicken on each side for about 6 minutes or until fully cooked and no longer pink.
- Dress the chicken and serve: Top with avocado and mozzarella cheese, tomato basil mixture. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
Grilling the Perfect Grilled California Avocado Chicken
Chicken can be tricky to grill without drying it out, but I have all the tips to keep it moist and tender.
- Make sure your grill is clean before you start and rub some oil on the grates to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Thinly sliced chicken breasts will not take as long to reach temperature. If the chicken breasts are too thick, pound them to make them thin. It will reduce the cooking time and help it cook more evenly.
- The basic rule of thumb is 3 to 5 minutes per side over medium to high heat, but it will vary based on the thickness of the meat.
- Your goal is medium and indirect heat while grilling so the outside of the chicken doesn’t burn while you increase the temperature inside.
- Keep the grill closed while cooking. This will keep the heat in and allow the chicken to cook more quickly and evenly.
- Chicken is done, temperature reaches 165 degrees or juices run clear.
- The chicken will continue to cook slightly even after you remove it from the grill.
Variations for grilled chicken
It may not be possible to improve on this amazing recipe, but we tried.
- Marinate: Marinate in a combination of olive oil, lemon juice, coriander, and garlic. (The longer it marinates, the more flavor it will get, so if you have more time, let it sit in the juices for up to 24 hours.)
- Add more flavor! For even more spice and flavor: add garlic seasoning to chicken and use pepper jack cheese instead of mozzarella.
- Dressings: To change it up, you can even add black olives or bacon on top. Because let’s be honest. Everything is better with bacon!
- What to serve with it? Serve with rice, a fresh salad, or seasoned fingerling potatoes.
- Bake instead of broiling: Cover the chicken with aluminum foil and cook the chicken only at 350 for about 45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken. Next, uncover and add the cheese and basil and return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Finally, top with the fresh avocado mixture immediately before serving.
Roast chicken storage
I’m not sure you have any leftovers from this delicious chicken, but it’s easy to store just in case. Here are some steps to help keep your grilled chicken fresh.
- Let cool after cooking no more than 2 hours before refrigerating or freezing.
- Store in a shallow airtight container.
- Grilled California Avocado Chicken will be fine in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 4 months.
- To avoid freezer burns, be sure to pack the chicken tightly in air-resistant aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or freezer paper, or put it in a freezer bag.
in a medium bowl Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken breasts and cover. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl Add the avocado, tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Heat the Grill over medium high heat. Grill the chicken on each side for about 6 minutes or until fully cooked and no longer pink. Top with avocado and mozzarella cheese, tomato basil mixture. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
Originally Published On June 11, 2017
It serves: 4
Calories558kcal (28%)Carbohydrates38gram (13%)Protein33gram (66%)fat31gram (48%)Saturated fat8gram (40%)Cholesterol95mg (32%)Sodium621mg (26%)Potassium1123mg (32%)Fiber8gram (32%)Sugar27gram (30%)Vitamin A775UI (sixteen%)Vitamin C18.5mg (22%)Calcium198mg (twenty%)Irontwomg (eleven%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measurement methods, and serving sizes per household.